Current positions in the electrical industry
Mechanical Design Engineer – Chicago Area – 5068
Electrical Manufacturing, Power Distribution
I am representing a leading provider of electrical power distribution equipment and services. With a strong commitment to excellence, the organization specializes in manufacturing switchboards, switchgear, and panelboards, and offer a wide range of electrical services, including commissioning, testing, and maintenance. The company has a long-standing reputation for exceptional service and are rapidly expanding their presence nationwide.
We are seeking three Mechanical Design Engineers (2 MV, 1LV) to be based in the Chicagoland area.
These positions will join a growing team developing custom solutions that are used in a multitude of industries. Each project takes an idea from concept to design, to production. Responsibilities include creating, updating, and releasing mechanical drawing packages for assigned projects in compliance with customer and industry specifications.
In this function you will:
- Develop and update mechanical approval drawings based on design reviews and customer comments.
- Develop and release mechanical manufacturing drawings inclusive of sheet metal fabrication details (flat patterns and bend profiles) and mechanical bill of materials to production and purchasing.
- Ensure drawings are released in time to support the production build schedule.
- Support manufacturing welding and assembly activities as needed.
- Provide technical support to sales and company distributors in support of the company’s quality customer service effort.
- Align and actively contribute to the company’s quality improvement initiatives.
- Stay abreast of technical product developments through literature review and industry developments.
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned by management to ensure company goals and objectives are met.
- Design sheet metal enclosures for electrical equipment according to ANSI/NEMA standards for both indoor and outdoor installations.
- Sizing and bracing calculations for copper busbar systems to ensure compliance with project specifications and industry standards.
- Develop assemblies, weldments and sub-assembly drawings and parts details with associated indented bill of material(s) for LV and MV metal enclosed and metal clad switchgear. This includes assemblies containing circuit breaker, interrupter/disconnect switches, and cable support mounting details.
- Prepare equipment plan, elevation, side and cross section views, and lifting details.
- Create component arrangement drawings based on electrical bill of material.
- High-level of competency in AutoCAD (knowledge of Inventor or similar software a plus)
- Well-versed in MS Office suite applications.
- Manage multiple jobs and competing requirements by confidently making critical decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication to clearly communicate with internal and external customers.
- Ability to use reasoning and logic to develop creative and practical solutions and apply past proven solutions to solve new problems.
- Work independently with minimal supervision and collaboratively within peer, production, and sales engineering teams.
- Read technical drawings, project specifications, and clearly communicate technical information to others.